This, the last normal roundup of weekly good reads for this year, has me thinking about self improvement and feeling lots nostalgic. Holidays can be both the best and also, something sad, if you’re prone to that sort of thing.
Things I read this week to help tangled, snarly, and totally exhausted me, along.
- 5 Struggles Of Being Smart, But Not That Smart
- Gwendolyn Kansen, 5 Things You Should Never Say in an Argument (and What to Try Instead)
- Gwendolyn Kansen, 7 Things You Need To Know To Get And Keep A Man
- Hugh Hart, A Part With Meat on Its Bones
- Dana Stevens, The Top 10 Movies of 2015
- Jim Dwyer, Between Guilt and Innocence, an Evolution in Fire Science
- Joanna Goddard, What Movies/TV/Books/Podcasts Did You Like Most This Year?
- Magda Szabdo, The 10 Best Books of 2015
- How to re-cover an ironing board
- Elizabeth Gilbert, Magic Lessons
- Lindsay Crouse, 16-Year-Old Sprints Right Into Professional Track
- ““It’s the era of the girl in general,” said Lauren Fleshman, a professional runner and five-time N.C.A.A. champion at Stanford. “Women have never been more marketable in sports than they are now, from U.S. soccer to Serena. Forty-plus years since Title IX means we have our first generation of supportive parents and coaches who grew up with the idea of female athletes not being horrifying. People are training girls harder than ever.””
- Eleanor Stanford, Harassed in Guinea, Homeless in New York and Happy to Be Together
- Sara Coughlin, 8 Portraits Reveal The Lives & Thoughts Of Real Phone-Sex Operators
- Jada Yuan & Aaron Wong, The First Black Trans Model Had Her Face on a Box of Clairol
- Elisa Ung, Wayne teenager now a big part of FX drama ‘The Americans’
- Such a cutie, but this made my heart stop:
- “Taylor’s acting does have one problem: She didn’t grow up in the 1980s. He recalls a scene in which Paige was placing a phone call. “Holly had picked up the telephone and was dialing the digits with two thumbs, like it was an iPhone.” Fields had to demonstrate dialing with his index finger, and assure her that’s how it was once done. “She looked at me like I was crazy.”
Image my own (Brioche Butter, Nov 2015).
Happy Holidays, chickens!